Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Confessions of a Mediocre Poker Player

Barry,

after talking with you the other night and playing a bunch of hands with you, i think you're "problem" has a little bit to do with the extremely high expectations and standards you have of yourself...and how you want your results to look.

if you can separate yourself from results and think of this as a video game, maybe that would help...

for example...you raised BB with AA when you forgot to unclick autopostblind while talkin to me. i dont know if it was reraised or whatever but the flop comes KQJ. you bet, got raised, one cold caller and you called...

then the J hit the turn KQJJ and you check called...

looking at it from your perspective i can see how you feel like "aw man, he's got JT and got frisky with his straight draw and now i'm beat"...we've all been there...and you're thinking about all the bets you *might* lose by being aggressive here...those are the results that haven't even happened yet...

if this were a video game, with nothing really on the line other than pride, would you bet the turn? check raise? or still check call?? if you can say that you would still check call, then we can eliminate possibility that its the results and its a function of technical skill or something...

but after talking with you and knowing all the people you've played with and talked to, i have to say i th ink you're better than you think you are...but for some reason you dont want to follow through with something you may know to be correct because maybe the results are sticking in your head from the last time you did it and got beat by some random hand...

so try to separate yourself from the results and see what happens...

good luck and take care...i'm sure we'll talk soon..

-Barron