Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Why Play Limit

very true. just get a spare 20 or so dollars, sit down at a shorthanded 1/2 or 3/6 NL game and wait to double up. I forgot where I read it, but a short stack all-in usually induces a caller.

Don't follow my logic? Take a walk with me...

Exhibit A:
You have a stack of $500 at a 3/6 NL table and all your opponents do too. Your raises and bets are taken with heed and you won't go up against rags thats for sure. Your chances of winning an additional 20 dollars is mediocre at best and hence making money is tougher than it could be.

Exhibit B:
You have a stack of $30 which is dwarfed by your neighbour's chips on both your sides. There are usually two perceptions which the others will acknowledge you with. 1) Some idiot who wants to double up fast and plays anything, or 2) Some idiot who wants to double up fast by playing only great hands.

Finally if you go all in preflop, you get to see two free cards. Why? Well a standard respectable bet is roughly around the area of 3 to 5 BB. Remember you are at a 3/6 table and a 30 dollar PFR from situation A would not get a caller from someone who thinks K3o is good enough for your junk. And if someone with a premium hand calls you, well they were going to call you down regardless of what you had. Anyways, back of subject, an all in with 30 dollars, you get to see turn and river while a PFR of 30 may not even see the flop.

PS I started with no-limit, since I am one of the young bucks who came a little earlier than the wave from WPT and WSOP, and trying to educate myself in limit since I recognize its superior money making potential.