Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Help!

[ QUOTE ]
Felicia, if I read one line right you do have a large hole in your game. You admitted to not charging other hands enough to stay with you, nor betting enough for value. That in itself is a huge gap and will especailly kill aspirations of playing higher limit stud than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are correct. Yes, I freely admit this, it has always been a huge hole. I have read 7CSFAP until it's falling apart (I keep glueing it together), and I know what to do, I simply fail to do it, trying to fool myself into thinking I'm playing lower limits than I'm really playing, and I'm looking to "trap" my opponents later in the hand. This has always been a thorn in my side, perhaps because I started out playing 1-3 and 1-5.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a 300-600 Razz game? Who plays in this game and where is it? Razz is such a simple game (compared to other forms of poker) that I cant believe one expert would have any type of significant advantage over another. As for tournaments, like you mentioned yourself its a diffrent ballgame from cash games. Going years before you finally see the results is not out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at Commerce during the LAPC. That is when Ted and I got to chat a bit outside of the tournament area. Ted was playing 300/600 and 400/800 Razz. Most of the time it was shorthanded. I would imagine that game only gets going during a major event, but who knows. There is so much disposable income in LA, and so many people wanting to play against the best, that I'm sure there is some dead money floating around.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as a plan to help you I'm not sure what to say. I know like me you've read and reread every poker book on the market. A higher limit coach might be the best idea if you could find someone willing. Would Ted look over your game as a favor? I actually even have wanted a coach to look over my game. I just dont know any high limit players (even though I'd be willing to pay a lot of money) that would do so. I still feel like I struggle with when I want hands in and out in large overante stud games. This is a topic I would love to consult with a world class player about. I wish I could say that you would find the answers on this stud forum. But while we have some very good regular posters, none of us would compare to getting Zee or Forrest to look over your game. I wish you the best of luck.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a high limit coach is exactly what I was truly asking for. Ray has already turned me down. From things Mason has said in the past, David pretty much only coaches HE. Some other people I've contacted, with excellent reputations say the same sort of thing, Hold'em is the game of the future, and that is the only thing they are willing to do. My long term goal is to become the best Stud player in the world (high aspirations, eh?), although I could use a heap of help in my HE game, as well.

I'm not sure about Ted. He is a very private man. While he seems to think nothing about bankrolling players he barely knows, and lending out money, he has a reputation of keeping his mouth firmly clamped when it comes to specific advice and strategy. Perhaps he would be willing to help me, but I am just now starting a friendship with him even though I first met him a year ago!!! We are finally beginning to e-mail, and I don't want to ruin a fragile start by asking him to do something he has refused to do for others in the past and making him think I am only interested in how HE can make my game better, instead of being his friend.

As we get to know each other better, I will be able to gauge how he would feel about coaching me in Stud games.

Thanks for your excellent points!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]