Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 AM

Default QQ under the gun

I don't have the history so I'm working from memory here as much as I can. NL tourneys aren't my strong suit but I'm getting a little better - by which I mean I won a couple of SnG's. It's a $5 Poker Room tourney and 37 players remain out of ~250; top 20 get paid.

I've been at this table for about fifteen hands and I've been doing extremely well - my stack grew from 12k to 20k or so just on people folding to my steals and continuation bets postflop. I've not met real resistance from anyone at this point. The most interesting character at this table is the player directly across from me, who is also doing very well and seems to play an extremely solid game. He and I haven't been in any significant hands together yet. Blinds at this point are something like 200/400.

I get QQ under the gun and open-raise to 2000 (the best real hand I've seen in a while). A chorus of folding ensues. Then the TAG in MP, who has me slightly covered, goes all-in.

How many times does he have AA/KK here, and how many times is he just testing me to see if I can be out-bullied? I'm very happy if he took AK/AQ/etc. and did that, extremely unhappy if he did that with aces or kings and the happiest little fish in the sea if he decided to try to bluff me with something weaker than the queens.

I hoped he was just trying to put me to the test and called; he turned over aces, they held up, and I busted out.

Is there even any way to assign any probability to this without knowing the individual player better? I've been thinking about this hand a lot; I'm going to earn a money finish if it kills me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I just don't know if there's much that I can do differently (besides, of course, don't go all-in against a big stack preflop when the blinds aren't forcing the issue yet).