Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Default A card dealing fiasco

Here's a little story from my last visit to the cardroom.

I was dealt AJ suited
The board flopped 6 6 J
Turn was a 2
River brought out a K
The board cards were in a rainbow of suits and there was only one other player who stayed with me until the river. Our play had both of us being a bit cautious so neither of us capped early and heads up I bet out but I just called his raise fearing that he'd hit the King or was playing trips.
He did indeed turn over JK. It was a nice pot so I said something like "Nice river card." and watched the chips slide over his way.

Here's where things got interesting.

As he was starting to stack up the win the dealer gathered the cards and opened the shuffling machine in the table. To his amazement the deck in the machine had one card face up on the top. The palyer to his immediate left, then suddenly spoke up:

"Did anybody else just see two Jacks of diamonds in that last hand? Or was I just imagining it?"
Another player immediately confirmed that he'd seen it too. Neither I nor the winner of the hand had noticed it.
The dealer looked at the up card in the next deck and found that it was the wrong color on the back. That card matched the deck we had just played. He found an off color card in that last hand deck as well. You guessed it, a Jack of diamonds. By now of course the original deck is long put back together and all the chips from that hand are neatly stacked in my opponents piles. I had no recourse. No reprieve.

"Floor! A new set-up please!"

Anybody have an opinion as to how I should have reacted?