Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Trouble Hands

So after 10K hands of $2/$4 I have a few questions about various hands. My win rate is pretty decent (4.54BB/100) -- cue to naysayers that require 500K hands to determine winrate...yes I know it's not a big enough statistical sample but let's just accept that I'm a winning player for this discussion.

My biggest money losers of the hands I regularly play are (roughly in order of magnitude):
KJs
JTo&s (note that I don't actually play JTo very often)
various small pocket pairs (22 obv the biggest)
T9s down to 87s
AJo

Now, my biggest concerns are 77 and 88 and of somewhat lesser concern is 99 where I only make 0.2BB/hand compared with 1.2 for TT. I think it's fairly obvious that you want to play 77 in a multiway unraised pot from mid to late position yadayada. I raise 77 a lot with only 1 limper or open-raise and it's costing me money, but I don't see how limping it and then getting it raised behind you is so much better. What are some pointers on playing 88 and 77?

Similarly, what exactly are the requirements for playing medium suited connectors? I always look for multiway unraised pots with these, so I think it might be that I'm chasing a bit too much post-flop, but I'd still like to hear a guideline on pre-flop.

Last question...AJo is only costing me money from EP. Is it wrong to raise it from EP? Better to limp it UTG and UTG+1 maybe UTG+2 depending on the game? My thinking is that by raising you're getting rid of hands that you either have dominated or can easily beat (PP) but you are not getting hands better than yours out. Interestingly my playing requirements for KQo and AJo are very similar and KQo is making me quite a pretty penny, so I can only assume that it is from hitting an A and losing to a better kicker where I lose most of my money.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm on a tiny slide lately and just wanted to re-evaluate some things that might be leaks in my game and restore some confidence. I've been trying harder than ever to make my post-flop play as profitable as ever, but you can't really focus on that if you have creeping doubts about something as elementary (well, it should be) as pre-flop play.

BTW, please don't refer me to SSH. I haven't read it but it is in the mail.