Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 AM

Default was this KK weakly played?

in general I think I've progressed to playing solid TAG or semi-LAG nl at the low-stakes tables... but every once in a while I get tied up in a confusing hand and lapse into weak-tight or passive poker. Is the following hand an example of this? How would the better players handle this situation? My site won't convert, so I'll have to summarize:

I'm UTG with about $110 at a .50/$1 table (100x buy-in). Look down to see K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

raise 4x, folded all the way to the bb ($130), who calls.

bb has been very active at the table, but erratic - lots of pfr, steal attempts, c/r, but also some odd min bets and other nonsense. Can't tell if he has a method or is just randomly throwing money around.

($9) Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets $2, I raise to $10. BB raises to $25.

flush draw, set, middle pp, AQ/AJ, A9, maybe 97 or 98? would've raised JJ or QQ pf, but just might've slowplayed AA. don't know what to put him on here, and don't know how to find out. A re-raise could get me to the point of no return, but folding KK here seems terrible. With the clock ticking my inner passivity comes out and I just call, wondering what'll happen on the turn.

(~$58) Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks. I check.
Is this a bad check? he could've hit the nut hearts and is slowplaying... or the card could mean nothing and he wants to see if I show strength, or has the Ah and wants a card. But for me to bet even 3/4 pot I'm basically committing my whole stack.

river 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

he immediately puts me all-in (~$85). Now in addition to the hearts he could've hit trips or even completed a boat. Then again if he had a monster, would he really go all-in here? maybe he smelled weakness and could tell I won't go to the felt so he's pushing a mediocre hand.

I've learned to fold to huge bets when the action is confusing and I'm nowhere near the nuts, so I decide to cut my losses - fully aware I mightve just been bullied by someone with TT or A9 or some other garbage.

frustrating - I had position and a big overpair, and still somehow ended up playing defense the whole hand. What would others do different? Thanks for any tips.