Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2005, 03:49 PM

Default \"take a break\" Over rated????

The most common answer for how do you shake things when your running bad is "Take a break"

Lets define this a little more.

What does it mean? How long a break, what kind of "bad streak" do you need to feel a break is the answer?

January sucked for me, but I played through it. When things got tough I really didnt have the time for a break. I took small ones, but for the most part I just kept griding and griding. Had I taken breaks every time I felt I needed one then I would have cost myself a few hundred bucks for sure.

Taking a break does work, BUT can we over do the break? Is a break really + EV?

I think a lot of that depends on you as a player, and I think its important to think about the break before taking it. Are you trying to reach a certain $$ goal? Do you have any sort of time regulations? bankroll limitations? If you take this break "now" will you really play better "later"?

Feb 2nd I began my month and sat down at 4 tables. After 16 played I was down 10 buy ins from losing my last 8. I took a break. My break extended through the next day and here it is friday the 4th, and I am still 16 games in(thats 48 less then my where I should be for the date) I am STILL down 10 buy ins.

What did the break give me? It let me relax more, I read 2+2 and laughed some. Did it help my roi? No. Did it help my my bankroll? No. Did it help my over all peace of mind? No, because really I am in the same spot as before. Nothing has changed. Oh wait, things have changed... they got worse. Now I have less time on top of the already bad luck.STRESS... break time.

Breaks can get you in the wrong mind set IF you abuse them. This realy doesnt pretain much to those that play for hobby only, but it can if the money you win is still something you hold of value(say poker money is what will fund vacation this year) Its easy for a break to lose every bit of functionality if you come back from a break and drop 4 more in a row. 4 in a row is NOTHING!!! N O T H I N G!!! But it stings knowing you just took a break putting yourself behind time wise, and now your still losing.

I am the king of break abuse. Someone said in a recent post that SnGs are "the kindergarten of poker".. Well Breaks are along the same lines. If you can achieve an eternal mindset knowing the stats and your own ablilities, then breaks have a more negative outcome then just playing through it.

Am I saying dont take breaks? NO NO NO... take breaks.. please take breaks. BUT remember its just a break. The only thing that will improve your roi is when you play again. the faster the break is over the better for your game. I dont question the need for the mental break at all....I only question our(ok my) lazy motive for when we extend it more then we should.

I welcome arguements. I dont expect to be agreed with on all fronts. I may even change my argument in the near future.