Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Foxwoods 1/2 NL - First experience

I went and sat 1/2 NLHE at Foxwoods today and was pretty surprised/confused and I'm hoping some of y'all can straighten me out.

Background: I play a fair amount of online NL (2-4 hours per day) at the low stakes level (.25/.50 & .50/$1) and do pretty well generally. PT has be rated as a SLAG but working on tightening my game up. I haven't played much B&M. Just some card room tourys and homegames in the Seattle area.

I travel to CT every couple of months so I thought I go sit 1/2NL (and 5/5 depending on how I did) at Foxwoods because I always hear how fishy the action is.

I sat today and the one thing that struck me was that the amounts of the raises seemed pretty out there compared to what I'm used to online (UB). If someone raised PF it was usually at least 5xBB, usually higher and Flop+ raising was usually pot to all-in. I caught some better than so-so cards the first couple of hands (it was a new table so no chance to watch the action) and got raised out by the flop (didn't catch anything worth an all-in call) which all but killed my stack. Played another couple of orbits waiting for a premium hand, caught one and ran into someone with a better one. I thought about reloading, but I'll have a chance to get over there later in the week, so I wanted to do come analysis and review to better plan my strategy.

My question is should you basically play (at least the 1/2NL tables) like $25/NL on PartyPoker (ie: supertight and expecting to get badbeats 1 out of 5 played hands) or did I just get a bad table (none of the guys seemed particularly fishy to me and in fact at least 4 were chatting it up and sounded like regulars) or am I just and idiot and should go 'work on my game'?

Any input would be appreciated. (please try to be at least a little kind).

Thanks.