Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Help! can\'t focus while at the table....or elsewhere

I've been playing online for over a year now, and have done fairly well for the limit I play at. Over the last month or two I've had more and more trouble concentrating while at the table and making reasonable analysis of play away from the table. It's as though I've gotten too comfortable with my game and the games I play in. Unfortunately this causes me to actually pay little attention to the other people at the table- causing poor reads and incorrect decisions. This is somewhat worsened by a perception of lack of challenge (which sounds insane, since there's plenty). Forcing myself to sit down and focus has helped a little, but it's still quite difficult to do it for more than a few minutes at a time. I know that a portion of this (how much I don't really know) is due to ADD and not taking any type of medication. I've been lucky in that I've had more good days than bad days, and usually I try not play on bad days. It's just the last couple of months where there's been a gradual reversal so good days are fewer and farther between. It's also probably worsened by diet. I'm planning on taking some time off in the near future to get a break away from the tables to work on the basics again and get back to some quality analytical thought. I'd like to re-read most of my books and really spend more time just thinking about the game at a level that I have been lax about in the past. I've also got some non poker books I plan on reading on logical thought, math, etc. I'm also going to be making changes to my diet during this time as well.

So this is part venting about my frustration about not being able to take control and focus on something that should be rather simple to do- concentrate and think analytically. Also to see if there's anyone else who has had similar trouble and what they have done. The simplest thing to do would probably just to go to the Dr and get a Rx, but I'd rather not take drugs just so I can function with a clear head. Of course if it's the option between living in a fog or clarity, I'd do the prescription route. If anyone has any recommendations on herbal remedies that have worked well for them I'd be interested in hearing about it. I'm already trying to cut out refined sugar since I know that it's not helping. This is, of course, much larger than just poker, but it's where I can really get an idea of how much of a problem this is. I'd also like to get back on track moving up limits, but I can't realistically do that as it is now, not successfully anyway.

Thanks for opinions, recommendations, insults, etc etc.