Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2001, 02:47 AM

Default Some Observations on the NFL (and other topics)

Just got back online after a 10 day business slash golf trip to the interior of BC last week, and then ducked down into Worshington state for the weekend.

Shlepped over to Seattle to visit friends and attended my very first NFL game on Sunday. Seahawks vs. Eagles. Some observations:

1. Very moving and emotional pregame ceremonies. Somehow I just cannot imagine 60,000 stoic Canadians chanting "Ca-na-da! Ca-na-da!" for anything. I will give Americans full credit for not being afraid to show their patriotism.

2. Loved the hoopla and atmosphere surrounding the game, notwithstanding the difficult circumstances. The tailgate scenes in the parking lot were a lot of fun. Closest thing here might be hitting the drive-thru 5 minutes before an NHL game.

3. Certainly this was only one small sample, but the game, or more specifically, the Seahawks, sucked. I didn't really mind paying the $60 (face value) for the ticket. Might be the only game I will ever attend, and the seat was decent (32 yard line), but Seattle is going nowhere with that crew. Hasselbeck threw? for 21 yards net passing and they got 9 first downs the entire game. Please.

I know it's apples and oranges, but give me the up tempo CFL style game day in and day out every time. And $20 to park your car, on-site, in another zip code. Yikes!

Working in the marketing and advertising industry, I give full marks to the hype machine flacks in the NFL for making the suckers believe this is entertainment.

4. Husky Stadium is a dump. Yes, I know they are building another lovely football-only state-of-the-art, seat-licence cash cow downtown for the Hawks, but UW isnt' going anywhere anytime soon, and I guess I expected more.

Canadians, think Taylor Field with fresh paint. No, make that Clarke Stadium (RIP) with fresh paint.

Hey, Rick N! Maybe you guys in LA are on to something here, what with no team. Could be a trend? Naw.

Go Chargers!

Out.