Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Lee Jones has warped my brain

A year ago I was searching for a beginners book on Hold em and I eventually picked Mr Jones publication. For the first six months or so I stuck to it and I saw slow and modest gains. Then I branched out, and I read and studied TOP, HPFAP, TPOP, SSHM. And I thought I was going great. But then a funny thing happened. My results started to go down. I couldn't understand it. I thought it was variance but it wasn't, there was a major problem.
Then I discovered this forum and I began posting and reading and I discovered that my first holdem book was held in disdain in this part of the woods. Didn't worry me at all. I'm not attached to it. But then I posted a hand that had gone wrong and an experienced poster replied that my play was "...straight out of Lee Jones." What did that mean?

Now I read a thread dating back to 2003 where Ed Miller takes it to Mr Jones and his recommendations for "charging the flush draws." And it hit me. Everytime I get a flush draw on the flop I bet. But if it is raised back to me, I don't reraise. Just this has cost me a fortune. And its all because of that fecking book.

It's like if you start learning a musical instrument. If for the first formulative years of your learning process your teachers teaching process is flawed..., well, you're fecked. There's nothing you can do. I know. I'm a music teacher. The stuff that goes in first will always remain, especially if acted on over a continual period of time.

What do I do now? How much of that book is suspect? And more importantly, how much of it is buried deep in my brain? And how can I get it out!!??