Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Would this be plagiarism?

This summer when I started to take poker seriously I invested $50 in Poker Tracker. Like many other players I wondered if I was good or just running well.

After reading many similar discussions on variance and how many hands it takes to prove that you're a winning player, I thought of an improvement to Poker Tracker. Just like there's an index to measure aggression, I thought there could also be one for luck. That way you could better gauge your play in the short run.

I e-mailed the good people at PT and they said they had already come up with a similar idea and that it would be out in their next version.

Today was the first day of my last full time semester towards my finance degree. The class I dread most already is E-business (I'd rather just show up for two multiple choice exams during the semester rather than several group projects). Luckily one of the projects is individual and we must create a new product or improve an existing one and make a web site for it and write a paper on it. Since it's just for academia and because I did think of it on my own before I asked PT, would it be OK for me to use this improvement for my product?

If it is ethical, what sorts of factors would you put in the luck index? For example starting hands. Basically I would compare the number of times I recieved AA versus the 121:1 or whatever it is that you "should" get AA. And then for the more ambigious hands I would use something like the poker room hand EV database and give a weight to each hand. So basically I'm looking for a product that I would know, that the teacher wouldn't know much about, that would be a genuine improvement, and that would be interesting.