Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2001, 05:58 PM

Default Sad statements from Canadians

This post will probably only be of interest to Canadians but maybe people from some other countries can relate.

I think that since the attacks many Canadians have shown greater concern and compassion for an American tragedy than I think they ever would for a Canadian one. Certainly if the tables were turned, Americans would not show anywhere near the concern for Canada that we have shown. That is not a criticism of Americans it is more a statement about Canadians than anything else.

For instance, yesterday, the Cancuks had their inter-squad game at GM Place and the US national anthem was played as a tribute. I don't have a problem with this, however, I really don't see why it was done. What I have a problem with is the statements by some fans that the cheering during the US anthem was the loudest they have ever heard GM place. To me that is a very sad statement.

Furthermore, the following was stated on this site by a fellow Canadian "i am Canadian but i feel very American. i think it is now a universal feeling." I'm am not quite sure exactly what this meant but why would a Canadian feel very American? The only reason is that Canadians do not have enough pride and confidence in their own country. Again could you ever imagine an American saying he felt like a Canadian. I don't think so and the reason is that most Americans are so proud of their country they couldn't possibly imagine feeling like a citizen of another country.

Obviously Canadians in general feel a great deal of sympathy for the US because of what happened and that's not the point of this post. I just think that it is a sad statement about our own country that we feel as much concern and sympathy, if not more, than we would about a Canadian tragedy.

I would like to hear any thoughts from fellow Canadians or people from other countries which can relate.