Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Even more horrifically butchered 99 hand

I had a really good session today; making smart reads, wise folds, strong value bets, etc. And my cards were often holding up. But then someone took a dump in my brain and this hand happened. So it's the one I'm posting.

This is only the second time in the month of January that I've cold-called PF from outside the blinds, and both were this week, and both were with 99. And both were posted.

This time it was a bit more defensible, because my read on CO was that he was loose-passive post-flop and mildly LAGgy preflop. The rest of the table was an aquarium. I cold-called because there were 4 limpers, all of whom I expected to call one more bet, and I was on the button. I didn't want to 3-bet and ruin my implied odds, nor was I going to isolate the PFR with so many limpers in. My best chance was to cold-call, let all the limpers call, and get mad odds. Ever after whiffing the flop, I almost had odds (but not quite) to see the turn, but because of

1) my position
2) expecting the field to call
3) implied odds if I turned a set

I called the flop. But the later two streets were really weird. So weird that I didn't know whether or not to value bet the river. Welcome to passive-ville. I didn't think I'd fold any Tens, so I checked it through. Still, the whole thing made me feel like I just made out with Steve Buscemi and paid for breakfast afterwards. I probably shouldn't have called the flop since I wasn't closing the action, and I probably should have value-bet the river. I also probably should have folded or raised preflop. Ugh.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (9.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB