Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2005, 07:50 PM

Default When to wave white flag?

I joined Party's $.5/1 Limit Hold'em the other night, full of expectations for a good night. My first win came in hand 72.

During the first 71 folds and losses, I thought I was playing SSH poker. You know, not going too far with weak hands, raising with the strong pre-flop hands, etc. As the book says "Sometimes your cards will run worse than average and you will lose." Thinking that the cards would change, I stayed in the game for 7 hours, and they never changed during the whole episode. Hundreds of hands, 18 wins.

How do you know WHEN to surrender to the "thermal noise on a zener diode" that has decreed that this session it will select cards for you that will not win? Seriously, my on-line play is best characterized by multiple small wins punctuated by one down session that undoes a week or two of successful play. Is there some "newbie" delusion that I'm falling prey to? It doesn't seem as if I'm outplayed that badly by opponents - instead, it seemed it was the 1 for 14 2 to 1 open-ended str8 or flush draws justified by pots odds that missed or the 4 for 43 set opportunities and only winning the hand 2 of the 4 times my set draw came through. The other players were playing 6-3 suited, J-5 offsuit, and any ace-rag combo that came along, so the game seemed beatable. I didn't know when to give up and get out. Any suggestions?