Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2005, 11:50 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default A Curriculum to Help My Friend Learn LHE -- Advice?

one of my friends is looking to start playing poker to make some money so he can afford to drink this semester. I've been looking for a friend who wants to learn, and he's a smart kid, so I'm looking forward to this. he also has 0 poker experience which I think will be beneficial, since I won't have to deal with helping him unlearn bad habits. I'm trying to think of a curriculum for him. does anyone have any ideas?

I figure I'll have him read books, read 2+2, and me teaching him directly. I'll have him read WLLH just go get the jist of it. I'll tell him to take the whole book with a grain of salt, not taking the specific advice, but understanding that he has to be tight to win.

I think the first lesson I'll teach him will be about position. do we think this is too advanced a topic to teach him first? I feel like it's so damn important that he can basically relate everything back to position. that'll lead into preflop play. I have TTH, which I let him use for preflop repetion.

the postflop skills are going to be tough. I guess I can break it down into several parts, when you were the preflpo raiser, when there was no preflop raiser, when you aren't the preflop raiser, or when you get 3-bet, and break those down further. flop play is pretty simple, and it should give him a good introductionto turn and river play, which are complex.

some questions:
- at what point should I introduce him to SSH? should I hold off for it until I've basically taught him everything in the book?
- is it worth starting him off at the nano-limits? I can afford to spot him some money to play at .5/1, because I'm confident that he'll make that back eventually

any other suggestions?