Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2005, 06:38 PM

Default AQo... when to let go?

15/30 at Bellagio; Button is a good solid TAG. Hero is CO
Folded to MP-2 who raises. Folded to CO
Hero in CO finds A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Reraises.
Button reraises again. Folded to MP who folds; Hero calls.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Button raises, Hero calls

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Button calls.

River:Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Button raises, hero calls
Button shows KK; HHIG

I realize this is a pretty mundane kind of hand for the various pooh-bahs, and that your hero didn't play it well at all. But it comes up again and again for me, and I can't seem to be able to get my hands around how to deal with it; when to fold when an overcard comes. When button reraised preflop, I thought "maybe I'm dominated." Turns out I was right, But while he may have had a better hand, I could think of a few that weren't better that he might raise with, too.

On the flop, I hated seeing that King, and I probably should have gone to check-fold or check call. But I had some outs even if he had a King.

When the turn paired the flopped 8 I didn't feel that it was decisive in any way to my hand or my situation, as I didn't see Button having an 8.

When the Queen came on the river, I thought about checking, but if all he had was a KX I had him beat.

As I re-read this I can see several places where I should have hit the silk. Probably the Flop was the time, and I am sure a case can be made for me to have folded at any step from the flop on.

I am a little embarrassed to even post this, but I can take the heat, and I'm trying to get better. I'm hoping somebody will give me some good solid thoughts to build on, as to how to deal with this problem.

bill [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]