Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Anybody fold a full house on the flop? 1st hand of tourney?

It's been a week and I'm still waffling on whether this was grotesquely stupid on my part or just bad luck. The setting is a $60 NLHE B&M tourney with 300 people. A month earlier I'd finished 12th in the same event (not a monthly tourney, there's 3 a week but I was on vacation both times). I didn't know anyone there.

First hand of the tourney, blinds are 25/50 and we start with t1000. I'm in MP with 88. I limp hoping to get a cheap flop and hit my set. LP player also limps, SB folds and BB checks. Here comes the fun!

Flop is JJJ. I'm not hearing "show tunes" in my head, but Deep Purple's "Highway Star" did come to mind :-). BB checks, I bet t200, LP calls, BB folds. Heads up with LP now. Turn is a blank, I toss in t500 feeling pretty good about my chances to double up out of the gate. LP thinks for maybe 30 seconds and then raises me all in. I'm now thinking mine may not be the only pocket pair, but it's not clear to me that I'm beat. LP could have a smaller pair or even AK (or, of course the case J).

With over half my stack invested already I can't very well give up on it now. So I call and he turns over kings for a bigger boat and I'm out on the first hand. Sure, it's at least partly bad luck, but how do I fold a full house against a guy who limped preflop? Overbetting the pot on the flop might have given me more info, but after realizing he's got a PP too it's still 50/50 whether his pair is better than mine.

Does anyone fold this, or is there another way to not go broke and leave enough chips to at least let me wait for a hand to try to double up on and get back in it?