Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Mid East peace priming the process

In keeping with my new "balanced" approach to posting in this forum. Id like to see suggestions for what the Israeli government SHOULD REASONABLY be expected to do en lieu of the positive election results in "Palestine".

Ill say up front they should immediately remove dozens of the less important roadblocks, remove forces from outside any Palestinian cities NOT HEAVILY INVOLVED IN TERRORISM, and perhaps they should put a moratorium on the construction of the security wall-fence for the next few months. Freezing settlement growth, natural or otherwise, could be a carrot extended in exchange for 3 months of relative quiet from the Palestinians.

Does this represent a token gesture...I dont think so considering how effective the wall and other security measures have been at preventing attacks in the last yr. Does it go far enough&gt;&gt;?? I dont know. One thing is for sure Abu Mazen will need to deliver results token or otherwise on the ground before he can consolidate his power to such a degree that he bacomes a viable peace partner.

What other steps should Israel take?

How should Israel respond if there is a rash of new attacks after relaxing security measures??

How long will it take until Abbas becomes powerful enough to assert COMPLETE CONTROL IN THE TERRITORIES and take on armed groupd such as Hamas to disarm them permanently?

Is this a reasonable goal for Abbas. Does Hamas et al. need to be neutered for a peace process to take place??(I will say here I believe this HAS TO HAPPEN BEFORE A REAL SUBSTANTIVE PROCESS BEGINS)

Please be realistic and not make ridiculous comments like "Israel should pull back to the 67' border immediately" bc that simply isnt gonna happen with Sharon in power so there is no reason for us to discuss it.