Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Take a break from school?

Im in a bit of a dilema and have decided to turn to my fellow ootiots for help.

Right now Im debating taking the upcoming semester off from school (which starts monday). Mainly, I dont know what major I want to pursue. It's my fourth year of college and I have chenged my major a few times. I started as Computer Engineering, then changed to Business Management, then Accounting, then Finance. Over the summer I decided that I didnt want a business degree anymore. I had no idea what I wanted to do and decided to just take some random Fall classes that interested me, as I still had some room for random university credits. Over the past couple months, Ive toyed with the thought of getting a degree in history. Thing is, while it sorta seems like a decent idea right now, I could very easily see myself changing to something else again.

So Im considering taking a semester off to try to figure out what I want to do. Another thing that might make me do this is money (this issue is far less relevant than the first). I rely on poker for about 70% of my expenses and my Parent the other 30%. During the last semester, school took up so much of my time that I was unable to play enough poker, and money started to become a little tight towards the end. I know the same thing is going to happen next semester. If i take it off, I expect to be able to make enough money between now and the start of next fall to steady myself financially. (pay off my previous student loans, make some investments, and have enough saved so that I dont have to worry whether or not Im playing enough hands every week).

Those are the two main reasons Im considering this. I in now way intend to quit school permanently.

My questions for you guys:

Does this seem like a good idea?

Have any of you taken breaks from school?

Do you regret it?

**What issues were there with taking a break? (i.e. Health insurance- i know nothing about, feel free to shed some light on that.)

I guess thats it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, as I sorta have to decide on this soon.

THANKS

mark