Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Mr. Sklansky, Please Answer This Question

Don't mean to be pesky, but I haven't gotten a direct answer to my question to you about IQ and poker, which you have made an interesting topic of discussion.

My question to you, fairly succintly, was whether someone with a 120 IQ could EVER, no matter how hard they try, compete successfully in 4000-8000 holdem against the caliber of players you mention in your top ten.

You responded: "Your question is like asking me if you can excel in a sport if your hundred yard dash time is only 11.2 It makes it harder but if you have enough other talents it can be done. But it would be wise to think more about first base than cornerback."

I replied that, "My question is more like asking a professional football coach [poker expert] whether an individual with a maximum potential 40 yard dash time [IQ] can ever compete successfully as a professional wide receiver [4000-8000 limit poker player] in the NFL [against the poker players of the caliber you mention]."

I would think the NFL football coach could answer the question very directly. Can you answer it?

Thank you.

(Also, I think you make some assumptions that you do not or cannot provide evidence for, particularly your professed ability to judge IQ and assumptions regarding IQ scores -- but I still think we can gain a lot from seeing your answer to the above question.)