Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Home game variations

My friends and family love to play poker with me, and for the past year or so that's been my primary social activity. However, they all get bored of the same games over and over, so we've created and tried out tons of variations. I thought I'd share the two that have been most successful and ask that anyone who does the same thing share their better variations.

Draft'Em - This is my personal favorite, and everyone likes it. It plays well at a full table, but I think it plays best shorthanded.

1: Post blinds - same as hold'em.
2: Deal a flop of three community cards, and deal four cards face-down to each player. This is called the pack.
3: Bet
4: Each player selects one card from the pack as her first hole card. Then the player passes the rest of the pack to the right.
5: Bet
6: Each player selects a card from the pack as her second hole card, then passes the pack to the right.
7: Bet
8: Select a hole card, pass the pack.
9: Bet

Mole - I don't really like this one, but everyone else enjoys it immensely. It's okay at a full table but terrible shorthanded.

This is a variation on 7-Stud Hi/Lo split. First, each player is dealt a face-down card called her assignment. If this card is 7 or below, this player is aiming for the low hand. If it is 8 or above, this player is aiming for the high hand. The Ace swings either way, but not both, and is determined at the showdown. The assignment cards remain face-down until the showdown, and are not a part of any poker hands.

After dealing the assignments, play 7-stud. At the showdown, half of the pot is awarded to the highest high-assignment hand and half is awarded to the lowest low-assignment hand. If all hands at the showdown have the same assignment, the entire pot is awarded.