Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Home NLHE against first time player calling stations...

Hello all. Every so often when I'm back with the family or visiting with my wife's friends we play tournament style NLHE with 6-10 people in on the table. I'm strictly an online limit player but the SSH style of play with adjustments for making bets/raises based on pot size works very well and I rarely don't win or place "in the money". No big deal...

However, this past weekend there were two players with no experience who called down with any one face card in their hand. Correspondingly, they only called down with very strong hands like sets or straights. They both managed to run very hot and the 10 handed table wound up seeing both of them with me (as a moderate chip leader) in the final three.

What types of adjustments (if any) do people make here? After I knocked out the short stack, the stacks looked like:

me: 2500
other: 1500
blinds: 150/300 (as usual, they increased every 15 minutes or so and then seemingly randomly depending on how fast people wanted to leave)

Obviously, the blinds are huge at this point so it felt pretty random. After magically getting KK, but then having it sucked out on, we basically swapped stack sizes.

I think I ended up going out with an A9o vs T6o when her 6 hit the flop.

I don't play these style of games very often and it's not a big deal, but it's a semi-interesting problem to me and, even after a lot of thought, I cannot decide on the "best" way of attacking it. So, it has my mind spinning and I wonder how other people play in this situation.

Thanks!