Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Is this why I\'m not doing as good?

This is a strategy question, more specifically for $1/$2 but overall for any limit. What do you think of changing my strategy against passive players?

Ok, I moved up to $1/$2 about 5 days ago I guess and I am not doing nearly as well as I did at .50/$1. At first I thought it was just an adjustment period and it still may be and it may be that I'm not adjusting.

I am winning, currently with only 4,117 hands played so far I am winning 2.11 bb/100. Yes I know that is a good rate per say, but I know I am making mistakes somewhere and it is costing me more money than it should be. I find myself losing a lot more hands that I REALLY thought I had wrapped up when I bet the river. I am not used to that as I felt I was almost always sure I had it won when I bet the river playing .50/$1 and I was right the majority of the time. Not here though.

Current stats with totally meaningles sample size is:

VP$IP: 15.50
VP$IP from SB: 25.86
Folded SB to steal: 72.22
Folded BB to steal: 64.71
Att. to steal: 23.94
Won $ when saw flop: 35.4%
Amount won: $174.08
BB/100: 2.11
Went to SD: 37.16
Won $ at SD: 49.53
PF Raise: 9.79
Post-Flop Aggression: 3.22

Another thing I noticed is that my won $ at SD has dropped. I am finding it tough to get above 50% as I used to have. I am unsure why. Maybe hands like this are the reason as I am staying in hands with fish that I should be folding. This is my thinking anyway.

Anyway, long story short. I believe I am making some major mistakes against fish (i.e. loose-passive/passive players). Here is one example. The fish bet into me on the flop. I'm finding almost every time a fish bets into me, I am beat. Maybe I should be folding almost every time they bet into me? After all, fish don't bluff "usually". (I have seen a few that do lately as well.)

Here is one example hand. After reading the above information and from your $1/$2 experience, what do you think? Do you think I should stop being aggressive when a fish bets back at me? How about just fold as I know they have 2 pair or better pretty much EVERY time?

Help me out here. SB is the fish btw. He check-raised me on the flop. I just realized this to tell you the truth as I was multi-tabling and just thought he acted behind me and raised at the time. Now that I see he check-raised me, it is obvious I should have let him take the lead and called down. Although it cost me the same amount of money either way as he went passive as fish normally do and just called me down. But the real question is, why shouldn't I just fold to the check raise, knowing he has me beat at that point since he is a LP-P? Or call the flop bet and fold on the turn unimproved?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

All comments appreciated.