Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Is it better to be happy or right?

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that every crispy that comes to my door 'selling' their religion uses this line? Like the only way to get a sense of 'meaning' and 'hope' is through a fairy tale? It's actually a very condescending question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, I wasn't trying to say that you can't derive meaning and hope outside of religion. I would say, however, that out of people I know, religious people are on average more happy than athiests. There are many exceptions to the rule. Not trying to convince you of anything here, just asking the question for my benefit and hoping people ca give me good arguements one way or the other. Also, I can't believe you actually talk to those people who come to your door, I don't know anyone who doesn't just ask them to leave before any discussion get started.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do so many people still follow a religion that's past is ridden with slaughter and child molestation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it realy fair to dismiss an idea as big as the gospel, a history changing idea, becaue many of its messengers are monsters. Every good idea will be perverted into justifying some type of inexcusable behavior.

[ QUOTE ]
Denial seems to be a big part of religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That goes into my original question, if I believe that denial would leadme to a better life, why is there anyhting wrong with that?

[ QUOTE ]
Especially when the collection plate comes around.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was to join a church, and make use of their facilities on Sunday's and derive something from the messanger, I would have no problem giving what I thought was an appriate amount to make a life for the pastor and to maintain the facilities. Also, If I felt that it would add to my overall contentment moreso than puchasing some material good or meal, I would have no problem contributing to some charity in the name of a church.