Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Not good - Internet Texas Hold\'em

i recently i made several posts on books. in said posts i mentioned that i thought "Internet Texas Hold'em" was a book that was NOT worth reading. i received several responses that indicated i was incorrect. therefore, this weekend i reread it - or part of it was all i could get through - it was clear that my original opinion was correct - this book is NOT good.

here are two scary examples i recall from the book.
1. you have QJs on the button, it is folded to a early mid position player who raises, another mid position player calls, the players in between fold, you call, ......it continues from there. it addresses what to do after a Q flops. the scary part about this problem is that calling 2 bets cold with QJs is a loosing play, it could only be correct if several more players had also called the 2 bets. you are easily dominated here, and it is a clear fold vs 2 opponents who probably have "real" hands.
2. you have QJs in the cutoff, it is folded to you you raise, it is raised again, and reraised back to you, you cap.....it continues from here, with the question being about the flop. however, capping here is incorrect. while the initial raise was a good play in most games after a raise and reraise, the likelihood of your hand being best is not good, capping here is incorrect, and will cost you $. the book seemed filled with these types of mistakes.

i stand by my earlier posted recommendations, and reiterate that this book is not worth reading.