Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Convince me not to go pro

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if being dead one day is the best way to make a decision, but I just want to make sure I think of all of the negative aspects of turning pro that I can, so I make a good decision. Thanks for the help

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's two scoreboards in life.

1)Happiness
2)Financial

for some people 2=1. If you will be financially solvent while playing poker full time (Figure out your exact expenses - every single penny of em from rent to cable to net, etc) and set that aside. Then play with the rest and try to take out what you can to refill the expenses pool.

If you don't think you'll be able to be happy in a corporate job, I can guarantee you won't be. I prefer a small working environment, so I work for a small business (4 people total) instead of a 10000+ corp. I'm happy there and I have what I consider a fun and engaging hobby. Not a bad life (and yes there's the rest of it, but that's not the issue here) in my book.

I guess my point is twofold - enjoy your life, you only get one - and remember there's alternatives to working in a megacorp. (If you're keen on charity work - work at a nonprofit and play poker on the side).