Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Three new chips for the Egyptian set. New Colors?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally am very interested in getting in on this set. I think that your idea of making the $5,000 plaque a deep purple is the best way to go because (If I am not mistaken)in ancient times purple was the color of royalty because it was so expensive to make. I think it will contrast nicely with King Tut's mask

BTW--Love the vulture image for the $1000 chip as well and love the idea of making the 1k and 5k denoms unorthodox shapes in order to make them extra special.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. By the way purple came from grinding seashells and it was very expensive and time consuming to make due to the massive quantities of shells required:

The colorless dye is present in shellfish and in the hypobranchial gland of snails which was removed and by exposure to sunlight and air developed. The shells of species found were in 2 piles, 1. the banded dye-murex (Phyllonotus (Murex) trunculus), 2. the spiny dye-murex (Bolinus (Murex) brandaris), 3. rock shell or oyster drill, Thais haemastoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

This goes to #1 on the list of things I never thought I'd learn on a poker forum [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Seriously, though, its interesting info.

Speaking of colors and royalty, wasn't there a particular color of ink that was used only by the emperor in feudal Japan (vermillion, maybe)? If I recall correctly, anyone else using that particular ink was put to death in some gruesome fashion. Doesn't directly apply to an Egyptian set of poker chips, but its still interesting.