Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 5-10 big pot at the Bike

[ QUOTE ]
No way. There's only one unlikely draw on the flop, so if you think your hand is good enough to push on the turn, push on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant push the flop without massively overbetting the pot. However, I did advise reraising the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing the turn is a losing play in this spot

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? What hands do you put him on? You are in favor of giving him a free shot at beating you on the river if he is behind. What happens when a scare card comes and you check and he scoots all his money into the middle?

As noted, the opponent is a better player with position. Pushing takes both those advantages away.

[ QUOTE ]
Because he's a very good player, and he wants it to look like he's trying to push you off. He knows that he won't get paid off against a skilled opponent, unless they also have a very good hand, so he loses nothing by raising here. Well, he loses riverboat if he was semi-bluffing, but given this flop and his picture of riverboat as "a little weak-tight," that's not too likely a scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully, I disagree with this analysis. 2,2 is not impossible, but I still think it is very unlikely. The problem with the "he wants to look like he is trying to push you off" play is that it is far too likely that the bettor does not have a big enough hand to continue. Therefore, it is too likely to achieve exactly what wasnt intended - to cause the other player to fold, even if the original bettor suspects that is what the expert is doing.