Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Poker and the better half

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but it seems as good as any so here goes...

I have been playing online for about a year, and have just recently(last 3 months) been able to crawl out of the red and report a net profit playing poker. This has done wonders for my game as I have stopped playing to "win my money back" and started playing good, solid poker.

My wife knew that I played, and didn't care as long as I limited myself to 6-10 hours a week. When I informed her about my new found winnings, she didn't seem to care about that either. Then, she found my bank records showing the total amounts invested and total amounts withdrawn and she came close to killing me.

When I first started, I had a bad habit of withdrawing most of my winnings every week and reloading when I went broke. The net effect of this was many deposits of $50-$200 and few withdrawels of $200+. Add in the number of times I would deposit to get reload bonuses, and the sheer number of transactions originating from my bank account was impressive to say the least.

Then, early this summer, I learned bankroll management from lurking on this site (I also learned how to not play like a complete fish) and kept my poker money at Party, which stopped the inordinate amount of transactions and let me move up in limits.

So now, here I am with a healthy 3/6 bankroll and a wife who thinks I am a complete degenerate. I have tried reasoning with her about how I have learned and wasn't taking household money and putting it into poker, blah blah blah. But she wants me to withdraw it all except $50 and play with that until it is gone, all the while cashing out any winnings on a weekly basis. Meh.
Has anyone here gone through this kind of thing? I don't want to go back to the way I used to handle my bankroll, as I have learned that that is the best way to go broke. I also want to keep my wife happy.

Any suggestions?