Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Confused on How To Handle A SNG HU

Villian is semi-tight, generally passive postflop, but has shown proper aggression preflop.

Party Poker 2/4

Hero dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

5 fold, Hero raises, SB Villian 3-bet, BB folds

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian bets, Hero raises, Villian calls

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian bets, Hero ?

I'm often at a loss on how to play HU as my short-handed game is generally non-existent. I've noticed some players change their playing style HU while others do not. This hand I was at a loss as to whether or not villian had turned ultra aggressive HU or was playing his standard game.

I have trouble dealing with the SNG HU, but can successfully deal with it when I have a proper read on a player. Here though, I had no such read that villian was capable of a bet out bluff on a scare card. I figured the villian to have a wide range of hands down through Axo considering what appears to be a blind steal attempt on my part.

If he is attempting to bluff me off the pot after picking up extra outs on the turn, am I better off letting him bet my hand for me, rather then raise him again causing him to fold? My thinking is that I'm either way ahead or way behind to a K or a straight, taking the call down line costs me exactly the same amount of bets with either calling or raising, but I can make me an additional 1BB by letting him bet. To me, getting that extra BB seems worth it in this small pot. Is my line of thinking off base here?