Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2004, 05:42 PM

Default Playing Big Draws Out of Position

Game is 5-5 NL ring game. Very passive preflop with a lot of limpers and preflop reraises are almost unheard of.
Max buy-in to start is $200 but game has been running for quite some time now with new people filling any vacated seats, so stacks are now considerably deeper.

Hero in MP with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ~$750 behind
Villain on button, ~$450 behind

UTG limps, UTG +1 limps, MP limps, Hero limps, Villain limps from button, both blinds check Pot = $35

FLOP:Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to Hero, Hero bets $25, button calls $25, all fold

Pot ~$80

At this point I want to put in a normal bet in order to build the pot because in this game it is unlikely that all will fold, though my table image is certainly one of a rock at this point, so an outright win is not out of the question. It also warrants mentioning that the majority of the playes will call down the whole with top pair, Villain included.

TURN: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $25, Villain raises to $50, Hero calls $25.

At this point I figure him for trips, simply because it is very unlikely this player will raise a full house in this spot. I figure theres a good chance my straight and flush are still live and of course im not going anywhere for a min raise. Should have I gone back over the top with one card to come?

Pot ~ $180

RIVER: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bets $50, Hero calls.

Obviously it wasnt the best card I could have seen. I didn't lead out with a blocking bet because the villain was not the overly aggressive type and certainly wasn't going to fold any hand he raised me with on the turn under any circumstances. I'd seen him call down increasingly large bets with top pair, 3rd kicker in an earlier hand.

Any comments are appreciated. Results to come.