Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Raising Pre-Flop No Deceptive Value?

I'm a newbie and fish. Here's something that's bothering me:

Raising early or middle with AA or KK.

I'm reading some books that say that if you have AA, KK you should raise preflop. I'm wary to do this if I'm in early position because I've had about everyone drop out on me then or soon thereafter. I understand with QQ you want this to eliminate overcards coming. I wait and wait for a good hand, get AA, raise, and find myself winning a meagre hand when everyone folds. It's disappointing. True, I'd love to get more money into the pot since I have the best hand--but raising tells everyone I have a good hand.

To me it seems like raising preflop early when you have these hands is giving away too much information, unless you randomly raise other times with just for the hell of it.

I'd rather limp in, being happy if someone raises, and see if I can win a decent pot without telling everyone I have a good hand. Sun Tzu said if you're strong, pretend to be weak, deception is key. Why let your opponents know you're pretty proud of yourself at-the-moment? Why not let them think they've got a good hand that might win?

I understand weeding out the people that might play 10-9 suited. But you can't be afraid of everything. Sure, any two cards can win, why not make 'em pay to play after the flop when they might stick around for their draw and pay MORE (v. just folding).

Any thoughts?