Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2004, 03:47 PM

Default AKo at final table of Empire $50K Guaranteed...

Results are not important, my question concerns whether or not my play was correct and did I have other options?

My background:

I am very inexperienced at MTTs; I have only begun playing them to learn for the last couple of months. I am a solid, consistent winner at small-stakes limit games, however my no-limit background is non-existent except for said MTTs and studying these forums. In lower buy-in MTTs (up to $20) I am regularly in the top 20% (about 8 or 9 out of every 10)of the field and reach the cash about 20% of the time. 3 final tables including this one. This is only my second stab at a higher buy-in tourney. Other attempt was this same tourney 2 or 3 weeks ago when I finished 80th out of 440 or so.

About this hand:

payouts: 6th - $2500, 5th - $3000, 4th - $3500, 3rd - $5000, 2nd - $7500, 1st - $12,500

My mindset: while very excited about being in this spot, I was playing well, thinking decisions thru, and still playing a rational game. I was more than happy with $2500, having done better that I ever expected to, and though $3000 or $3500 would be that much better... I always play to win. When I pushed, I was willing to chance a coin-toss if called to put myself in position to make a run at the final 3.

Range of hands I put MP on: slowplayed big PP, poorly played mid PP, looking for a cheap flop with a small PP, A-rag, 2 face cards, or suited-connectors looking again for a cheap flop.

My options: check and look at the flop, small raise that would cripple my stack should I miss the flop, or push.

I push thinking that I'm a big favorite if called over all hands but the PPs. I'm only about a 10 to 12% dog to the pairs, and the all-in may get a medium or small pair to fold. Coin-toss to double up and make a run at it if called.

I really think pushing is the only correct option here, but I welcome critical analysis of my entire thought process.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (6 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t105203)
SB (t87939)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t33326)</font>
UTG (t25686)
<font color="C00000">MP (t64283)</font>
CO (t72563)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls t3000, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t33326 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t30326.

Flop: (t68152) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t68152) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t68152) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t68152
<font color="green">Main Pot: t68152 (t68152), between Hero and MP.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP (t68152).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Ad Kc (one pair, threes).
MP has Ts Th (two pair, tens and threes).
Outcome: MP wins t68152. </font>