Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Now David, I am angry!!!!

I just read your most recent post about a simple tournament question regarding playing Q,J under the gun. Many answerred your question with their opinions. One, who gets kudos from me, said "it depends".

You then posted that you were angry that no one did the math. You said something to the effect that it's simply a math question. I'm sorry, but IMHO YOU are wrong!

It IS NOT always about math. Yes, possesing mathematical ability is essential to winning poker. But it is not the only thing that makes a winning player great.

In the example shown let's say for example that the correct answer is to raise. Mathematically correct or not, if you had just raised the last 3 times you were under the gun, it changes things because someone, not doing the math, may play differently due to your previous action. Don't you see this?

The correct answer is almost always "it depends" to any poker question. Yes, math may swing a decision one way or another, but it doesn't mean that making correct mathematical decisions will ALWAYS result in winning that hand.

Once again, I agree that math is important. And no one here will argue that you are the best at this aspect of poker. But you are not correct in saying that it is ONLY a math question.

Someone recently asked why you don't win any big tourneys. You said that you play $300-$600 daily. In limit, your math works best. But your math means less in NL and in tournies.
It's much more about situational poker. Playing the player. Playing the situation. Perhaps this is why you don't sit on top of the NL tourney circuit.

I think it's time you stopped berating players about the math. You are perhaps mathematically correct +/- a few % about the hands you may use for example, but it isn't the only answer!

I know you're going to respond that your comments are based on "correct play as it applies to poker theory" but you are going to make many good players into robots by doing this. I'd really like to see you admit one day that "it depends" may be an alternative answer to "mathmatically correct".

Very respectfully yours, Glen