Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2004, 01:51 AM

Default Tournament Hand

Just looking to see how you guys would play it on these two hands. For the second hand, my moves and results will be in white at the end of the post. I would really appreciate comments on my thought process.

This tournament just got heads up. I have a 2-1 chip lead over a very good friend of mine, who is a solid player, but can get overaggressive at times. He rarely leads with pure bluffs, but he does push his draws hard. Blinds are pretty substantial - 400/800 with a total of ~8000 in play.

First hand: I bring in with 8(54), two suited. He completes, I fold.

Second hand:

Me: A(JT)
Him 8(XX)

He brings it in for a full bet. On 4th, I pick up the 9c. He pulls a red 4. 5th brings the 8s for me, and the 6c for him.

Things now look like this:

Me: A98(JT)
Him: 864(XX) with two clubs

6th brings a red Q for me, and the 3c for him. On 7th, I pick up some raggy red card.

<font color="white">Results: I read him for a pair of 8's in the second hand, just called with the 3 overcards. On 4th, I check to him, he bets, I call. On 5th, I check again, and he leads again. This strikes me as slightly odd, since he usually slows down with medium pairs against a ton of overcards on board. On the other hand, I know he can't afford to give me a free card with a medium pair. I also know he probably would have played a bigger pair a little differently. So I called, figuring I had 12 outs. Right after that, I remembered those two generic overs in the hole were JT and realized that I could have gotten him all in when I had the best of it by a fair margin. On 6th, I check raised him, putting him all in. As it turns out, my read was way off. He was trying to bully me with 8(A9). He missed his club draw on the river, and that was that.

Looking back on it, I think a raise on 3rd is a possibility, but questionable at best, since he's only calling if he does have a hand. Same thing goes for 4th. Missing the raise on 5th is inexcusable. 6th seemed like a genuine no-brainer, as he was at the point that he would absolutely fire if checked to, and would have to call if raised. Thanks for any help.</font>

Edit: Changed the presentation of the hand. Hopefully it's more readable now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]