Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Creative low-stakes move: the free card min-raise

Hi all,

Does anyone notice how min-raises are very often always monsters on party poker? It's probably the easiest dumb-player move to try to pot committ the player, i.e. in the JrJordan hands he so much likes to post.

It doesn't happen as much in live games due to deep stacks, but it seems that a certain type of player online likes to min-raise and does it with sets and monsters of that nature.

Which brings me to my theory: if there are people who are doing this at your table, would a min-raise on the flop not be a good way to see a cheap river? Or at least get it checked to you on the turn so you have the option to see a river? Not only should this work against players who min-raise with monsters, it should work against players exposed to the same practice.

Pot sized raises on the flop with flush draws is often too risky with so little ammo behind (on party), and check-calling just screams for him to continue to fire on the turn. Would a min-raise freeze him up?

Please give me your honest opinion on this, as I have not put it into practice at all.