Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2004, 04:11 AM

Default Re: tourney poker much more skillful than cash poker

There are numerous factors that are far more complex in NL cash play than tournaments that you haven't even attempted to address.

Foremost is the necessity to vary your game far more in cash games if you have regular opponents. In a tournament if you sit at a table with someone who has seen you play 300 hands in the last 3 months they are the exception, this is not the case in many cash games, 1/3 to 1/2 the table might have seen you play thousands of hands in that same time span. In cash games you have to shift gears constantly depending not only on who your opponent is & your respective stacks but how both of you played this situation against your opponent(s) the last few times they were at the table. If you are repetitive you are going to get hurt far more in cash games than in tournaments. Sitting at a table where 1/2 your opponents are skilled players who have seen you play 5k+ hands in the last few months with deep stacks in a NL game can be a brutally nerve wracking experience as the mental 'I think he thinks I'm thinking I can semi bluff here' mental chess games go into high gear.

Secondly, the post flop decision making in NL cash games can be far more complex because the size of the pot on the flop frequently doesn't justify the mindless all in lunge with a big pair that the blinds and antes justify in a tournament. You have to keep playing after the flop in deep stacked NL games because the implied odds will frequently draw multiple callers; tournament blind/stack ratios don't allow this. In deep stack NL cash games your better opponents are aiming for your whole stack, not the current $ in the pot. And at the higher levels, aggressive players who will make massive stone bluffs are commonplace, it's a necessary play you have to make to be profitable, otherwise your river value bets don't get action.

A tournament player has some additional tangible considerations to worry about with blind escalation, payout, etc, but the mind games, requisite level of opponent observation & post flop decision making are far more complex in deep stack NL cash games than in most tournaments. I'm not saying that one discipline is more complex than the other, just that you aren't demonstrating an understanding of deep stack NL cash play.