Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Another question about pot odds....Never seen this one.

I know that after the flop with a flush draw (in hearts) you have a 1:4.22 chance of catching your flush on the next card. This is because there are 9 hearts left in the deck that can make your flush and 38 cards that won't. so 9/38 = 1/4.22. The problem is that there is 99.44% chance that at least one of the cards needed to catch your flush is in the hand of one of your opponents.

The chance of your opponents having no hearts is ~ .75 to the 18th power or .56%. 18 being the number of cards held by your opponents at a table w/ 10 people. 20 cards - your 2 cards = 18 cards. .75 being the chance that one card is not a heart.

So with .56% chance that there are no hearts, there would be a 99.44% chance that there is at least one heart in my opponents hand that is out of play.

To find the true odds of a heart coming out on the next card, this information would have to be considered, wouldn't it? And if so how would I use this information in decision making.

All responses welcome, except for the people who are just going to nit pick my math by saying that there is a slightly greater chance than 75% that one card will not be a heart because I have two in my hand. I know that. Other than that nit pick away.