Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM

Default What is the best poker play you\'ve seen on TV?

I nominate Barry Greenstein's River bet into Gus Hansen on the first PSI Gus won.

The jist of the hand was this. Gus raises preflop(!?!)3 handed from the button with 97o, BG calls. The flop comes 68T, two of BG's suit. BG checks, as does Gus behind him. Next card off is another 8( i think, either way, it paired top or 2nd), but it fills BG's flush. Gus has no redraws.
BG checks, Gus bets, and BG studies whether Gus may have checked a set or 2 pair, and quickly decides against it. He raises gus, and Gus calls without much ado. river is a Ten, making the board...

688TT
Not a pretty board for a straight OR a flush.

But BG, knowing that the likelyhood of Gus checking ANY pair on the flop was slim to none, BETS OUT AGAIN, and not some wussy defensive bet. He bet ~150k into a pot of ~250k( i think, fuzzy on ot size). Not only is this a fantastic read for Gus's hand, but also for the likelyhood of Gus calling, as I believe,(He may have said for sure in an earlier post here..) that BG put Gus DIRECTLY on the straight on the flop. Only other hand I can think of he would put Gus on is any hand containing the ace of BG's flush, therefore getting paid off possibly by the nut-no pair, but I doubt BG was thinking much of that.

BG COMPLETELY outplayed Gus in this tournament, made every right move at the right time, and just got carded out.

Any others? I have a few, but the Dalibaby is hungry...