Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2002, 01:04 AM

Default Ram \'n Jam stud game

Everyone,

I would like your thoughts on how (or even if) to play in a ram 'n jam stud game. Last Saturday, I was playing in such a game. The game was $2-$10 spread limit. Over 50% of hands were getting put to between 30 and 40 bucks on 3rd street. The game was like this for about four hours, in which time I won only one hand and managed to lose $250 dollars, my worst lost in seventy sessions. So, I need your advice:

First, what hands do you play in this type of game? (BTW, the game has no ante and a mere $2 bring-in.)

I played considerably fewer hands than usual. I had buried aces twice, which forced me into the pot (with others doing the raising). Another time, I let go of split Ks on 3rd street but released them when I saw my other two Ks out, because you had to improve to win in this game. Am I locked into playing conservatively until I hit a monster hand? With aces, do I fold if one of my aces is out, or even if my kicker is not suited?

One hand I severely misplayed, I think, was a pair of Ts. I had a suited 9 kicker, but the suit was pretty dead. Should I even have been in with live TT9?

I know there is a section on this type of game in HEPFAP. The authors write that you should lock down to AA, KK, or AKs in a ram 'n jam hold 'em game. How do you guys think this applies to stud? Should I just be playing rolls, three straight flushes, and three to a royal? I find it very difficult to muck aces when they are surely the best hand; they must still show some profit, but deviation will be great and you could loss your ass in one sitting.

Thanks for any suggestions. For now, I hope not to see any of these games in the near future. Take care.

Mike