Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Help a Conservative choose a candidate...

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is you are not a conservative but for some odd reason that is the label you placed on this post. I really guffawed at the part where you blame President Bush for establishing the Dept of Homeland Security. Didn't 911 have a little something to do with that necessity?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I have a hard time seeing how anyone calling themselves a conservative and using that term with it's historical meaning of being for smaller government, fiscal responsibility, and civil liberties can NOT be oppossed to the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Conservatives who unabashadly support the war in Iraq are a mistery to me, but conservatives who are not outraged at the lack of focus on finishing the job in Afghanistan suggest to me that national defense is not nearly as important to them as blind republican loyalty.

Does the creation of DHS uphold a strict respect for the 10th ammendment, long a bastion point of conservative thought? No. It does not. Does the passage of the patriot act stem from fundamental principles that government power should be used sparingly and judiciously? No, it does not.

The policies advocated by this administration are more in line with FDR or Wilson than with Goldwater or Reagan. This is not a conservative president, except in rhetoric.