Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2004, 12:44 AM

Default extracting the max, or wussified betting?

20/40 being dealt 5-handed in the wee hours. First two players folded. Hyper-aggressive button brought it in for a raise. SB called, most likely because she was sooted. I called in the BB with AcJh.

The flop was Js2d6c. SB checked, I checked, the button bet as he did 100% of the time when he was the preflop raiser and the everyone checked to him, SB called, and I called. The turn card was the 9h. SB checked, I checked, the button bet as he did 100% of the time when everyone checked to him on the turn and he had been leading the betting, SB folded, I called. The river was the 3d. I checked, the button bet, I called, and he mucked without showing. He would have shown down ace-high or any pair.

Protecting the my hand wasn't really on my mind, as neither of my opponents were the type to fold before the river with any hand they believed to have six or more outs to top pair or better. (With the loose caller on my left and the bettor on my right, there was no way for me to leverage his aggression to knock out the third player with a checkraise.) And betting for value wasn't really on my mind, as I was pretty much assured of a one-bet-per-round tempo. Besides, it was heads-up by the time it was time for my turn and river bets to go in, and lately I haven't been doing much raising heads-up on the big betting rounds with one split pair and no other draw. I have to go to lots of showdowns with these guys, and just calling takes some of the drama out of it.

Anyone else ever play it like this?