Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2004, 12:53 PM

Default What Happened? (LONG)

I have to admit I'm kind of ashamed writing this, but I'm at a point I've never been at before and I definitely need some advice. Basically I'm going to tell you the crazy story of what has been the past 3 days for me.

Day 1 (September 11): I had a pretty good day of poker on Friday, then went out and partied with some friends friday night, met some pretty cool girls at the party I was at (but thats another story completely), and was feeling good overall. My online bankroll going into today was at $1778.52, built up from a starting bankroll of $200 over the past month and a half. I had been playing the 6 max tables a lot lately and doing quite well at them. I decided with my bankroll at the point it was and my long run of success at $2/$4 full ring games and 6 max, that it was time to step up to $3/$6. My goal was to put in a good 4 hours of 3-4 table play during the afternoon, leaving me with plenty of time to have fun at night. About an hour in I was down $50, no big deal really just not the greatest of sessions. Then the dam broke. I lost a bunch of hands in a row to runner runner flush draws, inside straights on the river, and even a hand where my set of kings was taken down by a set of aces. This 2nd hour of play left me in the hole approximately $500 on the day. During the 3rd hour of play I started to right the ship and ended that hour only down $350 on the day. Then came the 4th hour, the mother of all bad hours of poker. My favorite hand from this session came right near the end:

PokerStars $3/$6 6 Max, 5 handed

Preflop: Hero is SB with Ad Kh
UTG calls, CO raises, Button Folds, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, UTG calls

Flop: (10 SB) As 8h 2c (3 players)
Hero bets, UTG calls, CO Raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG calls, CO calls

Turn: (9.5 BB) Kd (3 players)
Hero Bets, UTG raises, CO calls, Hero 3-bets, UTG caps, CO calls, Hero calls

River: (21.5 BB) 4c
Hero Bets, UTG raises, CO calls, Hero 3-bets, UTG caps, CO calls, Hero, calls

Final Pot: 33.5 BB
Hero has Ad Kh (Two Pair Aces & Kings)
UTG has 4s 4d (Three of a kind Fours)
CO has Ah Jh (One Pair Aces)

I wanted to smash my monitor after this hand, especially because simultaneously on another table I lost a hand that played almost exactly the same when my top two pair Aces and Nines lost when a player with pocket 8s caught his set on the river, and the fact that a very similar hand had also happened to me 15 minutes earlier. At this point I just played around to the blinds and left all my tables because I knew if I played any longer at this point I'd be on major tilt. I ended this day down over $1000. My bankroll stood at $702.68.

Day 2 (September 12): After my disastrous day at $3/$6 I decided it'd be best to just regroup at $2/$4. Along with the $2/$ tables I played a couple $30+$3 SNGs and finished 4th in both ugh. Should I have taken this as a sign that another bad day was in store for me? I mixed it up today, 1 full game and 2 tables of 6 max, and 1 hour later I was down approximately $300, plus another $66 from the two SNGs. At this point I took a break and I checked out some of my hand history from Stars to see if maybe i was playing abnormally, but again all I found were hands of mine that were continuously favorites on the flop and turn, getting outdrawn on. So after cooling off a little, and seeing from my hand history that I was merely running unlucky and not running bad I decided to go back to the tables. Another hour at the tables and another $200 gone I decided to call it a day. At the end of day 2 my bankroll now stood at $134.32.

Day 3 (September 13): I decided I'd start the day by playing two $25+$2 turbo SNGs as I'd had success in these in the past and thought it'd be a good way to get back on track. Dumb move thought because I obviously didnt have the cash to play in these. 4 hands into it on one table I was out when I called an all in bet with QQ on a board of Qh Ts 6s 2h. The villian hear had Ah Jh and the river was an 8h. Then a couple hands later my schools network crashed and that did me in on the other table. When the network got back online I played $1/$2 for awhile, (again dumb I obviously didnt have the cash) after an hour at 2 tables I was down a little bit and called it a day.

OK I'll admit I'm a bit rattled after this 3 day adventure. My bankroll currently sits at $34.12. I have no explanation for how this happened. I periodically checked some of my hand histories, and I was playing my normal style, but I was getting outdrawn so much it was sickening. For right now I've decided to take a few days off from the online game. My main questions here are has anyone else ever experienced an inexplicable downswing like this? Also, when I do get back to playing online what do I do? I'm down to $34 and I don't know if I want to crack into my live bankroll to fund more online play. Any advice is greatly appreciated.