Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 12:57 PM

Default structure for home limit tourney

I'm thinking about proposing a Limit tourney to my home group - we play a weekly NL dealer's choice and once a month a NL Hold 'em tourney. This idea is just to try something different.

My questions are:

1. Should I use the same blind structure, and then the limits will move along with the blinds? We start out with T2000 and 15/30 blinds. So the SB/BB will start at 30/60, right?

2. Should I expect that the tourney will last a lot longer than the NL given the same blind structure?

3. How many raises should we allow? What are the considerations in deciding this question?

4. Would Pot limit be a better idea? I guess PL would be halfway between Fixed Limit & NL.

5. Is there anything else that I need to know or consider?

I know some of these questions can only be answered by the players' preferences, but if I can get some idea of what the thoughts are out there it'll help me wrap my tiny mind around them.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: structure for home limit tourney

My questions are:

1. Should I use the same blind structure, and then the limits will move along with the blinds? We start out with T2000 and 15/30 blinds. So the SB/BB will start at 30/60, right?

Are you mixing up "blinds" and "antes"? Seems too high for that.
With T2000 I would start at 30/60 blinds.

2. Should I expect that the tourney will last a lot longer than the NL given the same blind structure?

Yes. You might want to have shorter rounds or make the blinds double faster.

3. How many raises should we allow? What are the considerations in deciding this question?

Whatever is typical, with heads up unlimited. Decide when it can be heads up or not (my rule is it has to be heads up before the next street is dealt, with a special river rule)

4. Would Pot limit be a better idea? I guess PL would be halfway between Fixed Limit & NL.

It's much closer to NL than limit. Might be a better choice if they are used to NL

Tell us how it goes over if you do run limit- what complaints did you get?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:39 PM

First, thanks for responding Larry. My new comments questions are blue below.

My questions are:

Are you mixing up "blinds" and "antes"? Seems too high for that.
With T2000 I would start at 30/60 blinds.

<font color="blue">Not mixing them up, no. Do you mean the limits seem too high? I thought the norm was SmallBet=BigBlind, BigBet=2xBig Blind. Is that not so? I know that the recommended range for Big Blind at start is 2-4% of Stack. We're a little short of that at 1.5%. My guys like to start slow and easy, and I like to keep the fish happy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]</font>

Yes. You might want to have shorter rounds or make the blinds double faster.

Whatever is typical, with heads up unlimited. Decide when it can be heads up or not (my rule is it has to be heads up before the next street is dealt, with a special river rule)

<font color="blue">I'm not getting you here. Can you spell that out for me? </font>

4. Would Pot limit be a better idea? I guess PL would be halfway between Fixed Limit &amp; NL.

It's much closer to NL than limit. Might be a better choice if they are used to NL

<font color="blue">Or might not be that much of a change - I guess PL will slow things down on the early streets. Like my group needs encouragement to take their hands deeper. </font>

Tell us how it goes over if you do run limit- what complaints did you get?

<font color="blue">I will - there's a Dealer's Choice tomorrow so I'll throw the idea out to them then.

Thanks again. </font>
Old 08-12-2004, 04:25 PM

It's it's a 15/30, the blinds are 15 and 30, respectively. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The minimum bet is also 30.

-d
Old 08-12-2004, 05:13 PM

"My questions are:

<font color="blue">Not mixing them up, no. Do you mean the limits seem too high? I thought the norm was SmallBet=BigBlind, BigBet=2xBig Blind. Is that not so? I know that the recommended range for Big Blind at start is 2-4% of Stack. We're a little short of that at 1.5%. My guys like to start slow and easy, and I like to keep the fish happy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]</font>"

Sorry, SB and BB are usually used for small blind and big blind, but can be used for small bet and big bet.

Yes, blinds 15/30 make it a 30/60 round as far as betting goes. I made it higher just to shorten the length of the tournament.

"3. How many raises should we allow? What are the considerations in deciding this question?

Whatever is typical (3 raise or 4 raise cap) for your game, with heads up unlimited. Decide when it can be heads up or not (my rule is it has to be heads up before the next street is dealt, with a special river rule)

<font color="blue">I'm not getting you here. Can you spell that out for me? </font> "

My heads-up rule is just to make things simplier to manage when unlimited raising is allowed:

To be heads up on 3rd street (flop) or 4th street (the turn) only two players can be left preflop (for heads up on the flop ) or on the flop (for turn heads-up) after all of the betting is over.

To allow unlimited raising on the river, either only two players saw the river card dealt OR
(special rule) no one can cold-call a raise on the river. If someone does, subsequent raises and drop-outs won't allow unlimited raising, even if just down to the two raisers before the 3-bet or 4-bet cap limit is hit.

Example: On the river, Player A bets and there are 3 callers. Player B raises. If everyone folds to Players A, who reraises and all the rest fold to B, then unlimited raising can commence between A and B.
If anyone calls B's raise, EVEN IF THEY FOLD TO A LATER RERAISE, the limit raise cap stays in effect.

Make it work however you'd like- I did this to avoid thinking too hard about when unlimited raising is allowed
Old 08-13-2004, 08:33 AM

bump
Old 08-14-2004, 12:49 AM

Just in case you haven't found it, this site should help.

homepokertourney.com
Old 08-14-2004, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
homepokertourney.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Great resource run by a nice guy - but deals only in NL.

Thanks.