Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 09:14 AM

Default WCOOP $200 rebuy

I have been reading alot about rebuy tournies here and agree with most of the info said Ie: Dont enter unless you are willing to take every rebuy and addon available etc.

My thinking is that some of the best internet players in the world will be playing this tournie and the field is going to be huge and the prize pool is going to exceed the $300k thats guaranteed.

My bankroll ($4000) is big enough to play the weekly $200 tournie but I think not big enough for this.I believe I can afford $600 without it hurting my roll to much.

So my question is how much of a disadvantage am I putting myself at by limiting my rebuys and if I do play should I rebuy straight away and then addon at the end or go against the general wisdom of this board and just rebuy if I go bust.
Any feed back would be appreciated

Peter
Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM

Default Re: WCOOP $200 rebuy

You should never, ever, go against the general wisdom of the 2+2 MTT Board, okay?

Seriously, though, I wouldn't play unless you are willing to be in for at least $600. And really, I think you need to give yourself a wider range of rebuy availability. I would say, don't play unless you are willing to be in for $1,000. You should certainly do the first rebuy afforded to you, to start with T3000, but it's hard (at least for me, and from a psychological standpoint) to leave the tournament after you lose your initial stack when there's a button right there at the bottom of your screen giving you the option to buy more chips.

One way to do it is to take the first rebuy and then if you go bust, simply walk away, but that takes a certain kind of discipline. It also puts you in a tough spot if your stack gets knocked back to 1500 where you have to decide whether or to to rebuy (ensuring that you'll be in for at least $800) which is why you might be better off just sitting this one out unless you have $1000-$1600 in expendable W$ to invest in the event.

That said, in this particular event, there will probably be scores of players just giving it a shot with one $200 buyin, so that might change some of your considerations. Still, I don't think it's ever a good thing to be stuck in a rebuy tournament without the option of rebuying as often as you can.

Shane
Old 07-02-2004, 12:08 PM

Do you know the exact rebuy/addon details for this event? I do not. In many rebuy events, you get more chips for the rebuys and addons (in terms of chips per dollar) than for the original buyin. In that case, the standard wisdom is 100% right. However, in many of the bigger rebuy events, you get the same number of chips per dollar for the rebuys and addons as you do for the buyin. In this kind of event, the edge you're giving up for not rebuying or adding on is not very significant at all.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 07-02-2004, 12:17 PM

T2500 starting chips. T2500 for each $200 rebuy when at or below 2500. T3000 for $200 add-on.

Hey, you should know, you're entered in the tourney [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My bankroll ($4000) is big enough to play the weekly $200 tournie but I think not big enough for this.I believe I can afford $600 without it hurting my roll to much.

So my question is how much of a disadvantage am I putting myself at by limiting my rebuys and if I do play should I rebuy straight away and then addon at the end or go against the general wisdom of this board and just rebuy if I go bust.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't usually give advice on bankroll issues, but I don't think $4000 is a large enough bankroll to risk $600 on a single tournament.

That said, I think the field in this particular tournament will be weak enough that a good tournament player would have an overlay even when playing on a budget that restricted the potential to rebuy.

Even if you rebought once at the outset, then walked away from your computer until the break and then took the addon (total outlay $615), you'd be starting the second hour with about 7000 in chips, maybe more. I believe that is enough to give a good tournament player an overlay on the $615.

But of course that is not your optimal strategy.

I expect that with only $615 to spend, optimally you would not take the rebuy at the outset of play. Rather you would start with 2500 in chips and play normally, but if you go broke before the end of the rebuy period, rebuy once and then play more conservatively until the end of the rebuy period. That way you will usually have enough funds left to take the add-on. If by the end of the rebuy period your stack is 2500 or less and you have not rebought, take the rebuy then as well as adding on. Notice that following this strategy you will usually spend exactly $615, but occasionally only $415. You can also modify this if you are willing to spend $815 in rare circumstances. (I.e. by taking the add-on even if you have already rebought twice.)
Old 07-02-2004, 05:00 PM

Thankyou all for your advice, yes my bankroll isnt big enough to play this tournie using the correct strategy for a rebuy tournie but what the hell lets play poker.

I have decided to up my buyins(possible)to $1000, that will give me a chance of starting with the max chips ie t5000 twice and do the top up at the end.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:08 PM

MBE,

What makes you think the field for this tournament will be particularly weak? This may be contrary to others' opinions but I just assumed the WCOOP would have tougher fields as compared to regular online tournaments.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think the field for this tournament will be particularly weak? This may be contrary to others' opinions but I just assumed the WCOOP would have tougher fields as compared to regular online tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually the $109 rebuy, scheduled a few times a week on Stars, tends to be tougher than almost any other Stars MTT.

Despite that, I suspect the WCOOP $215 rebuy will be relatively soft because of the guarantee and because it will be promoted heavily. Also a lot of people have W$ in their account that can't be used for anything else.

I'm assuming that the calibre of play will be similar to Stars' weekly $215 NLHE, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know the exact rebuy/addon details for this event? I do not. In many rebuy events, you get more chips for the rebuys and addons (in terms of chips per dollar) than for the original buyin. In that case, the standard wisdom is 100% right. However, in many of the bigger rebuy events, you get the same number of chips per dollar for the rebuys and addons as you do for the buyin. In this kind of event, the edge you're giving up for not rebuying or adding on is not very significant at all.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the tournament description, there are unlimited rebuys equal to the amount of starting chips (T2500). You must have T2500 or less to rebuy. During the break, there is a $200 addon, which gives you T3000.