Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 08:18 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Do poker players need a \"thick\" skin in order to beat the game?

yeah, but he posted the same hand again in the probability forum, Homer. I guess everyone learns differently. I learn best when people tell me things straight without sugarcoating them, while some people take offense to rudeness, so I'm biased.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 PM

yeah, but he posted the same hand again in the probability forum, Homer

I think he cross-posted them at around the same time.

I learn best when people tell me things straight without sugarcoating them, while some people take offense to rudeness, so I'm biased.

Everyone seems to be associating being straightforward with being rude, and I'm not sure why. It is possible to be straightforward without being rude, and vice versa. I like it when people are straightforward.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2004, 08:32 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think he cross-posted them at around the same time.

yeah you're right, I didn't realize that

Everyone seems to be associating being straightforward with being rude, and I'm not sure why. It is possible to be straightforward without being rude, and vice versa. I like it when people are straightforward.

I'm not going to debate with you because you're going to make me feel stupid [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Everytime I read a thread where you debate something, I start by thinking "what the hell is Homer thinking?" then by the end I think to myself "[censored], he's right"

example being the thread about tipping
Old 05-01-2004, 06:33 AM

Perfect example: I posted "ahem" advice on a certain NL tourney hand and Ed Miller pointed out in "his" own words that it was incorrect. I also read between the lines and thought to myslef "If I dont know how to swim, how can I teach others?"

Keep giving advice. When I first started posting here, I was on the level of your average Microlimit poster. I asked the newbie questions (the post I remember most vividly was one asking what to do with QQ when an overcard flops.. hehe.. I was mystified).

I was a little embarrassed by my ignorance, but after a short time, I decided that I was just going to give my advice on every hand post I read. If I read a hand post, I offered my view on how it was played. I didn't know what I was talking about, and I often got it wrong.

People stepped in and corrected me... sometimes diplomatically and sometimes bluntly.

(BTW, this is why I have adopted my particular... style... of correcting people. I found that I learned from the blunt corrections far faster than from the diplomatic ones. I post the way I do because I truly believe it helps people learn the fastest. People have this tendency to think, "Oh well, everything in poker depends, my way of playing it was probably ok too." Sometimes it takes a blunt response that says, "No, your way of playing it is absolutely terrible, and if you keep doing that you'll go broke," to cut through the wishy-washy poker fog.)

Anyway, I got corrected all the time, and after a while I started to figure poker out. My responses got more accurate, I got corrected less, and a couple of months after that, I quit my job and started playing fulltime.

I will never EVER say "You have no right to be posting advice." Advising others is a fantastic learning tool. But if I see you post poor advice, I'm definitely going to fix it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2004, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sublime...

Umm... did I say calling with a 2 4 was mixing up my play? I said I play loose though. Wouldn't calling with shitty cards be considered loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ed, and FWIW your response didn't bother me in the least. I NEED to be told point blank that i am wrong. If not, I just put my own spin on the answer and move on.

What can I say? I am a sick man [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2004, 03:27 PM

I agree. There are so many answers in poker that are 'it depends', or are situations where arguments can be made for different plays, that when a play is definetly, 99 times out of 100, wrong, it needs to be made absolutely clear.