Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Mirage Advice?

Going to Vegas next month. Have been playing for about 6 months (party poker 1/2 2/4 and SNGs, a few multi table, some home tourneys, few trips to the river boat 4/8)

I'm staying at The Mirage and consider myself to be decent but not great (have read WLLH, HEPFAP, and TOP so far)

I'd like to play about 20 hours over my 3 days, should I play 6/12 instead of 3/6 to have a better attempt to beat the rake? Are their evening tourneys extremely difficult or worth playing? Should I try any other poker rooms? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I consider my skills to be fairly even between NL and limit and tourney vs. ring. Bankroll isn't a huge factor.

Any advice is appreciated
Old 03-16-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Mirage Advice?

Play the 10-20 if at all possible. The rake at the 3-6 is absurd and the 6-12 rake is extremely frontloaded (they take $2 out at $24 - horrible if the game isn't super juicy)
Old 03-16-2004, 03:02 PM

Clark (or anyone),

Can you give any loose comparisons, Party games v. Vegas games? Is the 10-20 at certain spots comprable to Party x/X or x/X?

Any generalities or specific ideas appreciated. I'm in the same situation, and looking to play higher than I do online when I'm there.

Thanks,

El Sapo
Old 03-16-2004, 04:51 PM

The 10/20 is very soft.

You might like the nightly tournaments. I think they're a couple of hundred.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:41 PM

can anyone come up with some formula between live and internet? I mean i get torched online 1-2 or 2-4 somedays and head to AC and clean up at the 10-20 or 20-40 at the taj. I am the believer that they really dont have much to do with each other. Your best bet is to find a table you feel comfortable at and play. Watch you opponents and survey the table(like you would do on line) and have fun.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 PM

I haven't played party, but the Mirage 10-20 is very similar to the Paradise 3-6 game.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played party...

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, dude, do you not like free money?

Dan

P.S. Will you be able to play at MB or MC drunkenly or at the Bellagio or Mirage sober when I'm in Vegas for Phish 4/13-4/17?
Old 03-17-2004, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 10/20 is very soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I've been in some pretty agressive games there.

Sparks
Old 03-17-2004, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played party...

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, dude, do you not like free money?

Dan

P.S. Will you be able to play at MB or MC drunkenly or at the Bellagio or Mirage sober when I'm in Vegas for Phish 4/13-4/17?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much prefer going to the show. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2004, 06:24 AM

ElSapo,

Generally, the Mirage 10/20 plays about like Party 5/10. However, some nights it's much softer, and on rare occasions the game can get fairly tough (usually early in the week).

Last night, there were three human ATM machines at the game who were literally giving away money. One of them was live-straddling every round, and either raising or re-raising almost every time pre-flop (then check folding the flop). He went through two racks in about two hours. The other guys weren't quite as bad, but they were pretty horrible. I booked a huge win in the four hours I played, which was good because I had a big loss the night before on some brutal second best rivered hands.