Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2004, 12:27 AM

Default Re: party down?

This is my first party crash....

I have won the pot... i have not pulled it yet...

Is it safe to leave the table? Or do I just let the window stay open?

Old 02-22-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Re: How can a site defend against this?

Yes but even hardware firewalls have to be programmed (rule sets established etc). And even then DOS attacks are very difficult to eliminate completely, the best you can really hope for is a scheme to minimize the effects. I can't even begin to speculate further without more information though.

Anybody know what OS they're using? I'm afraid of the answer though, since I suspect it's a form of Windows - which makes it that much harder to properly secure.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:33 AM

It has crashed, it is safe to leave. You will receive an email saying your account was restored to the amount it had prior to the start of that hand.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:36 AM

I was in a tourney last week when it got cancelled 3/4 through....I was in the last 20 of 90 starters....they took 50% of total funds and split it evenly between all 20 and then paid the other 50% out pro-rata to your stack size.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:38 AM

Default What happened to my social life?

It used to be that when something like this happened, I'd have other options. Not anymore. I'm sitting here drinking beer with a couple of roommates. Why can't a company pulling in seemingly hundreds of thousands a day not keep a connection strong?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: How can a site defend against this?

[ QUOTE ]
Is is even technically posible for party to provide a workaround for the hacker mafia DOS problem? Mirror sites? Authentification (that the pc requesting information has actually dowloaded party software)? Some other method?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no real workaround to totally prevent DDOS attacks. Mirror sites could help for a while, but since the information about mirror sites has to be stored somewhere, the information is also accessible to malicious parties.

No authentication system can help currently, since the attack is done on a lower level. There is no authentication needed to send traffic to an IP address.

In the future, when the whole Internet supports IPsec, a sort of authentication could be possible. However, I wouldn't count on this happening in the next 10 years.

But concerning today's server crash, it doesn't look like a DDOS attack, since there is always a "Connection refused" message sent by the server when I'm trying to connect. This wouldn't happen during a DDOS attack, since my initial connection attempt wouldn't reach the server.

It simply looks like that the server has really crashed, perhaps due to load from the tournaments?

- mongeron
Old 02-22-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Isn\'t stuff like this going to drive the fish away?

I don't think recreational players will put up with things like the server going down every weekend. Could this DOS attack crap completely ruin party as an extremely profitable site with thousands of beginners? I'm particularily worried about it because I just made a party account and it was pain the ass to deal with credit card companies and what not and I don't want to have to do it again on another site.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:06 AM

Cup,

what's your ID at Empire? I'm in the semi too.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:08 AM

Default Paradise is amazing!

Sitting here pissed, couldn't find another decent mtt to play at at any other site for hours.. So I flip to paradise..

I happened to have 5.75 in pending fees with a 5.00 trny starting in 9 MINUTES!

I e-mailed support asking if it would be possible to get the money refunded to play that trny, TOOK UNDER 5 MINUTES FOR A QUICK AND COURTEOUS RESPONSE! I had 3 minutes to spare to signup for the $5.00 tourney, amazing support.. and my hats go off to them!

I told them they really need to get off their asses and do same advertising, they are bar non the best site out there and always have been (they just need MORE PLAYERS/FISH!)
Old 02-22-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Paradise is amazing!

Welp, atleast they are adding 30K to prize pool for the trny